Friday, October 10, 2014

Give Me (Even) More Lip Review

This time last year I owned one lipstick.  ONE.  That one made me curious and so when I saw the "Give Me More Lip" Sephora Favourites set, it seemed like a great way to branch out and try more.  It changed my life.  Since buying that set I have been obsessively amassing lip colours.  I have so many that I probably didn't need to buy this year's kit.

But I did anyway.


Sephora Favourites "Give Me More Lip" 2014

Since I'm not a complete headcase, I did the math to make sure it was still worth my while to buy it.  For one thing, there are at least four samples in this year's set that I already own - two of those because they were also in last year's kit.  Frankly, I think that's kind of lame.  On the one hand, I can understand that these kits are meant to reach out to people who don't already own a lot of lipsticks (ahem - last year me), so putting a few tried-and-true samples in the box is probably to their benefit.  On the other, even those of us drowning in lip colour still have a few brands and colours they might not be familiar with, and as such buy this kit every year, so putting repeats in the box completely defeats the purpose of getting to try all new things.

I'm going to list all of the lipsticks in the set, along with the full-size price and what the price for the sample would be to buy it in that size separate from the kit (assuming that you could, which for most of these you can't).  I'll highlight the ones that are full-sized as well.  The ones in italics are the repeats from last year's set.  Hopefully this list will be of some value to anyone who is on the fence about whether or not it has value for them.

bareMinerals Marvelous MoxieTM Lipstick in Speak Your Mind
Full size: 0.12 oz for $23 ($191.67 per ounce)
Sample Size: 0.05 oz
= $9.58

Benefit Cosmetics Hydrating Tinted Lip Balm in Posiebalm
Full Size: 0.10 oz for $22 ($220 per ounce)
Sample Size: 0.01 oz
= $2.20

Bite Beauty Luminous Crème Lipstick in Palomino
Full Size: 0.15 oz for $28 ($186.67 per ounce)
Sample Size: 0.07 oz
= $13.07

Buxom Mini Full Bodied lipstick in Menace 
Full Size: 0.13 oz for $26 ($200 per ounce)
Sample Size: 0.04 oz
= $8.00

Fresh Sugar Berry Tinted Lip Treatment
Full Size: 0.15 oz for $26 ($173.33 per ounce)
Sample Size: 0.08 oz
= $13.87

Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick in Icon
Travel Size: 0.03 oz for $12
Sample Size: 0.03 oz
= $12.00

(Note: this sample is actually available as an 0.03 oz travel size that is sold on its own for $12, so I used the $12 as my measurement toward the total.  The strict per-ounce cost based on the full size is $9.90 - I assume the travel size costs a bit more than that because of the packaging - but since you can't actually buy the sample sans packaging for the true per-ounce cost, I felt is was more realistic to use the travel size price as the total.)

Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Outlaw 
Full Size: 0.22 oz for $24 ($109.09 per ounce)
Sample Size: 0.10 oz
= $10.91

Laura Mercier Lip Glacé in Blush
Full Size: 0.15 oz for $29 ($193.33 per ounce)
Sample Size: 0.09 oz
= $17.40

Laura Mercier Crème Smooth Lip Colour in Red Armour
Full Size: 0.14 oz for $32 ($228.57 per ounce)
Sample Size: 0.09 oz
= $20.57

Make Up For Ever Waterproof Lip Liner Pencil in 3C
Full Size: 0.04 oz for $23 ($575 per ounce)
Sample Size: 0.025 oz
= $14.38

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Black Dahlia Lip Tar: Matte Test Tube 
Full Size: 0.33 oz for $22 ($66.67 per ounce)
Sample Size: 0.08 oz
= $5.33

(Note: this is a full size test tube at 0.08 oz, but I couldn't find an individual price for those as they're sold in kits of three tubes.  The value here is based on the full size tubes.)

Sephora Collection Rouge Infusion 
Full Size: 0.152 oz for $18 ($118.42 per ounce)
Sample Size: 0.068 oz
= $8.05

Stila Stay All Day® Vinyl Lip Gloss in Nude Vinyl (FULL SIZE)
Full Size: 0.14 oz for $32 
Sample Size: 0.14 oz 
= $32.00

Tarte LipSurgence Lip Tint in Moody
Full Size: 0.1 oz for $29 ($290 per ounce)
Sample Size: 0.06 oz
= $17.40

Tarte Lipsurgence Power Pigment in Flush (FULL SIZE)
Full Size: 0.04 for $29
Sample Size: 0.04 oz 
= $29.00

Too Faced Cosmetics La Creme Color Drenched Lip Cream in Naked Dolly 
Full Size: 0.11 oz for $26 ($236.36 per ounce)
Sample Size: 0.05 oz
= $11.82

Too Faced Cosmetics Melted Liquefied Long Wear lipstick in Melted Fuschia
Full Size: 0.4 oz for $25 ($62.50 per ounce)
Sample Size: 0.16 oz
= $10.00

TOTAL: $235.58

Sephora's site claims this set to be a $230 value, which is accurate based on my math (even if you use the actual per-ounce cost instead of the travel size price for Hourglass "Icon").  The products included in last year's set were the Hourglass in "Icon", and Buxom in "Menace", so if I subtract those two the total value for the set is actually $215.58.

Last year's set included four full-sized products (one in each shade family), and this year there are only two. However, this year also included a sample-size lip liner as an additional product, which was not in last year's set, so that evens it out a little bit.  Just a little.

For myself, I also subtracted the colours I already owned (OCC "Black Dahlia", Bite Beauty "Palomino", bareMinerals "Speak Your Mind"), which brought the value to $187.20.  I also looked at what it would cost to buy the few I was most interested in separately in full size (Fresh Sugar Berry, the two from Tarte, and the liquid Too Faced) which was $109.  Since the retail cost for the entire set was $70, and the fun to be had with it is priceless, I'm pretty thrilled with this despite my very few petty grievances.

Another petty grievance:

Sad tuba noise


What the hell?  The lipstick was turned most of the way up before the cap was put on, so the tip was all mooshed.  I think this is actually a manufacturing defect, so it's not really anyone's fault, but it's still annoying and sad.

But how are the lipsticks, you ask?  I've got swatches:

Reds

Reds
Sephora "Rouge Infusion", Kat Von D "Outlaw", Laura Mercier "Red Armour", Hourglass "Icon"

The Sephora lipstick went on pretty sheer, I had to build it up for the swatch.  The colour itself is kind of unexpected and odd... There's a hint of dark orange or brown or something in there that I find intriguing.  I wish it was more opaque, because I'm interested in what that will look like on my face.  The Kat Von D went on opaque in one stroke.  It's a bright poppy red that I probably already own ten of, but I'm hoping will outlast some of them on the lips.  The Laura Mercier also went on well in about two strokes, but the lipstick itself appears to be a bit of a sheerer shade in general.  The Hourglass is also opaque in on one stroke.  It's a darker red, which I love.

When removing, Kat Von D "Outlaw" and Hourglass "Icon" held on to the bitter end - I had to really scrub to get them off.

Pinks


Pinks
Bite "Palomino", Benefit "Posiebalm", Too Faced "Melted Fuschia", Tarte "Flush"

The Bite lipstick went on smooth and opaque in one stroke.  This colour.  This.  Colour.  The Benefit balm is pretty sheer, obviously, because it's a balm.  I think I was hoping it would be more like what Clinique thinks a balm is and it would have more pigment, but it doesn't.  But it's a nice sheer pink shade.  The Too Faced applicator is a bit gimmicky, and I felt like I had to do a lot more swipes than was strictly necessary because the sponge kept wiping the colour back off.  But the pigmentation and colour seem nice in the swatch.  The Tarte "power pigment" is effing powerful.  It went on really thick and opaque in a single stroke.  It's a very dark pink, but I like those so I'm good with it.

When removing, Bite "Palomino" was the last to go.

Berries

Berries
OCC "Black Dahlia", Tarte "Moody", Fresh "Sugar Berry", Buxom "Menace"

The OCC lip tar goes on very strong.  It comes down to a very dark merlot shade, which I absolutely love.  (That's why I already owned it).  The Tarte tint is just that - a tint.  I need to learn to read, because again I was expecting more colour payoff than I got.  The shade is a bit less wine-y than the other three, and I think it gives you some extra variety in the total set.  The Fresh "treatment" is gorgeous and smooth.  It's also a sheerer balm, but I don't mind that with this one for some reason.  (Just don't keep it in your pocket - I melted mine).  The Buxom lipstick is a dark purple-red that went on opaque in one stroke.  I do know that it's a bit more sheer on the lips than it looks in the swatch.  (You can see for yourself here).

When removing, the lip tar and Buxom "Menace" held on the longest, but that's to be expected since the other two are balms.  This won't give any hints about their longevity, sorry.

"Nudes"

Nudes + lip liner
Make Up For Ever "3C"
Stila "Nude Vinyl", Laura Mercier "Blush", bareMinerals "Speak Your Mind", Too Faced "Naked Dolly"

The Stila gloss is very opaque - not truly a gloss at all, I think - and sticky.  I actually don't mind slightly sticky lip stuff, it makes me feel like it won't slide around and reassures me that it hasn't worn off.  Some people hate stickiness though, which is why I mention it.  The Laura Mercier gloss is less sticky, and slightly less pink.  The bareMinerals lipstick goes on smooth and creamy in one stroke.  It's a kind of dusty bubblegum shade.  The Too Faced lipstick is a pink-tinged nude, which was very creamy and needed a couple of strokes to show up well enough for the swatch.

The liner was a great add for this year's set.  Depending on the colour of your lips, a nude liner like this can be used under most of the lipsticks in the set, which allows someone who doesn't already own a lot of lipstick and liner to properly try them all out without going shopping. 

Stila was the only holdout during removal.  It was a bit horrible - like when you're trying to get off the last of the sticker glue when you remove a price tag from something.  I wore this yesterday and it wore off slowly and much more smoothly in real life, which is a relief, in hindsight. 

As a last note, the reason I put quotes around "nude" for this section is that none of these are really nude at all.  They're all pinks.  It's kind of like having a slightly less bright pink section rather than true nudes.  Whch I actually think kind of sucks.  For comparison, last year's set included proper nudes:


Smashbox "Nylon Nude", Stila "Dolce", Laura Mercier "Bare Naked", Buxom "White Russian"

I still use most of these regularly (the Stila lipstick is a bit too brown) and I was looking forward to expanding my nude horizons.  I guess it isn't a huge deal, since the Smashbox from last year is basically the perfect nude lipstick so maybe there's really nowhere left to go from here anyway.  And I've got nothing against light pinks, especially since I actually did need a few more options there.  So this is not a gripe.  Just a gripe-like observation.

Overall I'm very excited about this set.  I'm always excited about lip colours. I looked forward to this release all year and was not disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment